Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday July 22, 2012

It's time for Dodger baseball....! Words to live by on any game day. Especially if you are a girl. A girly-girl! 
Especially if you are me. And especially if you are visiting this site.
Welcome.



First let me bring you up to speed with a few credentials and fun-facts: 
Circa 36 years ago, I was the only 5 year old girl in my first grade class (yep, first grade) who could recite the Dodger infield- players and positions. Thank you Grandpa. I have been paying close attention ever since.
Yes, I know all ten retired numbers and players. (Again, for the Dodgers. If you haven't guessed by now the theme of this write up, you may want it spelled out for you.)  
I also know all the player numbers of the current team. My favorite player is Andre Ethier. Don't ask why. He just is. Everyone should have a favorite. And my fave retro player: Steve Garvey. 
Although some may claim it is a game of numbers (stats), I find it is a game of more than that. Try a game of patterns and personalities, numbers... and loyalty. That's closer. 
You'll see what I mean as we blog along. I promise. And I will always post on game days. (Sometimes more than once- it's just how my brain works.) . 



Now, how many of us ladies will make the effort to go to a game? And when I say "effort to go," I don't mean buying a ticket in the top deck. 
Here's what I mean:
Lip gloss: check. (Preferably flavored- it's just more fun.)
Pretty outfit to bring your team luck: check. (This may include heels- yes, you heard me heels. At the stadium.)
Romantic attitude and hopeful butterflies to bring your team luck: Yes! Don't be afraid to cry if your team wins~ it's priceless and all of that. (And if you are me, "your" team is always the Dodgers.)


And if the Boys in Blue aren't playing a home stand, there is still a chance to make an effort: 
Know what time the game starts and what channel they are being shown on. (Hint: check the Dodger website.)
Be engrossed. Be in love. And know the difference between a balk and a walk.
Oh and always root for your team. Especially when they are in a slump. 
Never ever "boo" your team. Especially when they are in a slump.
Hey, it happens. 
But that's what loyalty is. Even when things wane a little, stay true to your heart. To thine own self be true.
Some famous guy said it once. It fits.
For those of you who may be new: the goal in baseball is to score by going home. 
But sometimes you have to leave home to find yourself right back where you started.
And that Ladies, is when you score biggest.
I will always try to keep things light, but I promise to have opinions. I will never just "report" on the game. This written dog-and-pony-show won't necessarily be for the faint of heart. While I will review elements and turning points of the win (or loss) of the day, I will inject my own sense of ....the IT factor. 
Because that is what girls should do. 

Look, in general, the payoff pitch- it's like men ladies- there's a pitch, you know it's coming, and the payoff is ours to decide. Sometimes. 
Sometimes the fast ball is amazing and it goes swoosh- right by us. But if we're lucky,... that fast ball comin' our way... it'll hit the sweet spot.


But the Dodgers still need a closer. 
I mean, bottom line, any guy can go out there and pitch.
It takes a man to close the deal.
It's no wonder we haven't had an heir apparent since ...Gagne?
Had the Dodgers not spent so much time and energy on Broxton a few years ago, we might have a more evident alpha in the wings. (See? Told you there would be opinions.)


Whenever I watch a game that keeps me on the edge of my seat (or if I am at the game I may be on the edge of your seat so I apologize in advance), I turn to mush when the outcome is revealed. When Matt Kemp hit that walk off home run in the 12th last Wednesday, I was in my usual seat in the Reserved section. 
And I cried. 
It always gets to me.
For me, baseball is like ... like... like that perfect guy: you can just be sitting there.... he gets under your skin  with one look...after the perfect pitch... and you melt.

Not all games will be this long. Neither will all blogs.
Dodgers get the win the hard way today. 12 innings. They sweep the Mets, and they pick up a full game on the Giants. One and a half back now. But they worked hard for that win, as they should.
It makes that sweet spot all the sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment