Monday, July 30, 2012

PreGame GAB: Go on...Make a Wish July 30, 2012

What is it about the moon that fascinates us? Ok, that fascinates me. Especially a full moon. It could be that  my moon sign is Cancer which is a very sappy, emotional sign. (I'm an Aries by trade. April 1st to be exact. But that's a whole different post.) Or it could be that when I was a little girl I thought that the moon  followed me. Or maybe it's just the fact that there is something so playful and fanciful about the little orb that seems to pay so much attention to earth. It's like we are its whole world.   


Sorry. My inner poet is getting lost.
But look how cute it is peeking out around Dodger Stadium! 
(btw- found this adorable image on Eye on L.A. Sports)
But part of my moon phase (sorry for the tie in to the cliche joke- had to) does have something to do with a wistful part of me. I like looking up at the moon. I like making a wish. Maybe it's a Girl thing. Ladies, admit it: we all have  soft spot. We all like to dream and wish... a little. As strong and independent as we are, there is a little part of us - me anyway- that is a little superstitious and likes to think that my wishes will come true. 


Yes, yes, I know.. be careful what you wish for... and I try to be. But baseball tends to be a very superstitious sport. Ball players have been known for such things as not shaving during a winning streak and wearing the same unwashed ball cap if they think changing it up might affect the baseball gods' moods.  

Here's a new little one: "HanMan Glasses" (thank you David Caldwell for that name- until I hear otherwise I'll stick to that one!). http://www.ladodgertalk.com/2012/07/i-see-you/  After hearing Vinny talk about the signal set up among Teammates in the dugout, I was hooked. It means "I see you." I's one of those "I got your back, you'll have mine," kinda things.  Here's how you do it: it's two A-OK signs made with both hands, the other fingers flared. Hold the A-Ok circles up to your eyes like glasses... voila... "I C U." When a runner makes it to base, you throw the sign: "I C U.
It's a sign that's already catching on. Can't wait to be at the game tomorrow. I'd bet my fave pink Los Doyers tee that "I C U" is gonna be seen around the Ravine. Teammates and fans alike.
The superstition here is that by making the sign, it will get the Boys in Blue pumped up and ready to swing some bats. There's wishing and adrenaline all going at the same time. We see our team. We're lovin' them.  We're sending that love down to the dugout and bases.
Ladies, we all have our favorite date dress. Our favorite heels (or flats if you prefer). Our little routines before going out with the Girls. Or a guy. We have a morning routine. We have bedtime routines. Are they superstitious? Perhaps. Or maybe they just add to our security in knowing we know what we like. 




A blue moon is the second full moon that happens during the same month. Scientifically speaking, it has nothing to do with the color or the moon itself. Darn it. But since the blue moon doesn't happen very often, the reference to "once in a blue moon" is a reference to the rare occurrence of something. Most of us know this. The reference adds a little special "something" to whatever it is you happen to be talking about. Maybe the blue moon will bring you luck: Its gravitational pull, the charm is... magnetic.

"And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked to the Moon it turned to gold"

... Blue Moon lyrics (my fave version: Ella Fitzgerald).
As it just so happens, August is a blue moon month. I've looked it up. Two full moons.We are currently tied for first in the west. Take a guess what I am wishing for... Then heading into September baseball on the heels of a blue moon ...HOW PERFECT IS THAT! 
And who knows, maybe that same blue moon can be used for more than one wish. Try it. Go on. Make a wish. 

Game time tonight: 7:10 p.m. PDT. See you after the game. GO BLUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment