Sunday, July 29, 2012

Post Game GAB: First Bite/Last Bite

Boy, am I glad that went well. 
It would have been very embarrassing had the Dodgers lost after I said just get them back to California and they would start winning. 
But baseball does that for me. It hones my instincts. (Or maybe I just got lucky in my prediction. Take your pick.)
Of course, then again, some things are just ...destiny.
LIKE MAKING HISTORY!
Let's visualize: You order a pizza (clearly now I want to order one). It arrives. It's hot and gooey and perfection at its cheesiest finest. You have been craving it all day long. Now it's in front of you. You take the first bite. Awesome. And you thoroughly enjoy it through and through. But as you become less and less hungry, you become full. And as you take that last bite of the last piece (left overs... pizza for breakfast anyone?)... the last bite is never quite as satisfying as the first and second. Till today. Today history was made, and the first pitch was as sweet as the last pitch. The Dodgers beat the Giants in San Francisco in back-to-back shut outs. THAT has not been done since both teams moved to California from New York. 
Now to be fair, I had not thought about that little bit of trivia till Vin Scully started talking about the possibility in the 6th inning or so. Official Vin Scully website ... But what a piece of history to grab onto and take a bite of! And Kershaw pitched a complete game... always awesome. *New Girls: usually or at least often a starting pitcher is relieved somewhere after 2/3 of the game. When the starting pitcher goes all 9 innings, it is sweet!
Speaking of sweet...
Now I want pizza AND ice cream. This is a picture here to our left of a recent non-regrettable lunch decision.Sometimes you just gots-to. (See? Told you I make words up.) Pictured is also one of my favorite reads. I have the hard copy and the Kinlde version. Alyssa Milano's Safe at Home: Confessions of a Baseball Fanatic serves as an inspiration for me.   It truly gives a female perspective of the sport. She is also a well-known Dodger fan. Yay! If you have the chance, I highly recommend the read. It's smart and funny just like the author. 
Sometimes when history is being made we know we are watching it. Like the Olympics. We know this happens only once every 4 years. Big stuff is bound to happen. But we can't always predict the history making events when it's day-to-day. There are 162 baseball games played in a season for any given team. If you are lucky enough to see all the games your favorite team plays, then you are ... well, lucky. But of you happen to see the one where a imprint is made on history, then you really ARE lucky. Baseball has roots. Serious roots. And when another branch to those roots sprouts it is SO COOL to say you saw it. (Even if it was only on TV because it was an away game.) I envy the L.A. fans in San Fran today who were AT the game. Bravo to their cheering sections. 
Wrap up: Dodgers win 4-0. I now understand why Mattingly put Loney in the line up- he hits well against Vogelsong. That's why Mattingly gets paid the big bucks. He knows stuff like THAT. All I know is the last bite was as sweet as the first in this delicious win. And now I have a huge smile on my face.   
Dodgers came home to the west coast. Dodgers swept the Giants.
 Dodgers made history. And Kershaw completes a game. This seems like a pretty good weekend all-in-all. Now they head HOME-HOME to L.A. where they will face Arizona tomorrow. Game time 7:10 p.m. PDT. Kirk Gibson bobblehead night on Tuesday. And yes, of COURSE I will be there. And right now, the only opinion I have is I HEART L.A. Oh, and ALWAYS savor the last bite as you would the first. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment