Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday July 28 Pre-Game GAB: Batting Practice: Single Girls Read This

Practice makes   perfect.
This applies to a lot more than just baseball. 
Last night, I went somewhere I had not been in years. I went alone- on purpose. I just wanted to... be.  I operated on my usual M.O. of "make an effort." I try and make anywhere I go an event. For this event it would be casual, but nonetheless, people gotta look at you. Don't go out looking like you're ready to earn a badge.  Especially nowadays with camera phones and social networks- you never know when you're gonna be tagged. So for Pete's sake make an effort. For this event, nice jeans and cute sassy peep toe heels would do. A little lip gloss, light mascara, and a frilly pink top rounded things out. It was outdoors, so I had my ipod so as to drown out the background noise. And off I went. 
What happened there took me off guard. I was flirted with. I did not plan that. I thought I was going incognito. I had sunglasses on. To be fair, I wasn't "mobbed," per se, but I was approached more than once- and I wasn't looking to be approached. I was there to enjoy the ambiance (note: it was NOT a bar- bars don't tend to be my scene anyway). But isn't that the way it always happens? When you least expect it, or when you're not trying? 
You're just practicing. 
At one point, when one guy came up and started talking to me he asked shortly into the conversation what else I liked to do besides go out on Friday nights and wear cute shoes. (See? Always the shoes!) 
To be fair, the guy wasn't my type. But my brain went into instant baseball mode: This is batting practice
He wasn't creepy. He was nice. And attention is always flattering. So I went with it. I responded to his pitches. I took a swing (and his card- it's all part of the practice). I occasionally stepped out of the batter's box to take a moment and gather my thoughts. Then I'd step right back in and take a swing. Pitches during batting practice tend to be hittable. It's what they are being thrown to you for. Use your instinct. Hit them (the pitches- not the guy). Not all flirting should be practice. Some should be for keeps. But some of it IS batting practice And practice makes perfect. It's what gets you ready for Mr. Big. 
If a guy is flirting with you Ladies, take the swing. Accept the pitches. Then, when batting practice is over, walk away. You are now warmed up. Smile. You're ready for the game. 
Game time today: 1:05 PDT. GO Blue! L.A. Dodgers Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment