Thursday, August 30, 2012

Avoiding the Obvious: Post Game GAB 8/30/12



I should have known better than to wear mascara on Vin Scully bobble head night. Somewhere through my emotional waves of... emotional redundancy came the realization that I might be starting to resemble a panda.  Good news: apparently Costco sells a water proof mascara that actually holds up to its claim. I usually wear MAC but I was in a hurry one day and there it was: Kirkland brand. Turns out it works better than the the other stuff I used to use. ( still wear MAC foundation... love that stuff) So... sticking with it Kirkland for the lashes. 

Vin Scully- you stick with the guy because it works. He is the heart and soul of the Dodgers. Truly. He was the first name I learned before any of the team members when I was 2 or 3. Knowing how I am, I am pretty sure I was surprised to learn at a very young age that he wasn't actually considered a player. 
Vinny threw out the first ceremonial pitch tonight , caught by Mattingly. His grandchildren and additional family members passed the ball down the line among themselves before handing it back to Vinny for that first pitch. The moment of my breakdown came early when Kirk Gibson came out of the visitor's dugout and gave Scully a hug. We were playing Arizona tonight, so of course Gibson was there... and I fell apart. World Series Game 1... 1988... "A long fly ball to right field .... She is... Goooone!" I hear it in my head as I type. Vin Scully's voice resonates from my childhood. And now I have his bobble head. I'll sleep well knowing I was there at the tribute to Mr. Scully.

And yes we lost. We are now four and a half back in the west. There I said it. 
I couldn't avoid it forever. GIRL TALK: We can dance around a subject for hours like Fred Astaire, que no? But sooner or later... we gotta face it. *Sigh...
Game time tomorrow: 7:10pm PDT. See you at the Ravine!
And Well Done, Vinny. Well Done. Thank you for all the wonderful memories. 
Keep on bringin' them! L.A. is the luckiest sports town ever to have you in our booth!

No comments:

Post a Comment