Thursday, August 9, 2012

Post Game GAB - August 9, 2012: Patience



It was an exciting night. So exciting I feel asleep as soon as I got home. I was exhausted. Here's how it all went down (in no particular order): Someone sitting behind me knew all the retired Dodger numbers except one: #39. I was finally able to use my random trivia and share with them: Roy Campanella. Timeless.
Saw a proposal on the Dodger Vision screen . She said YES. (whew!) Flattened a beach ball. On purpose. More on that later.  
Rockies led in the first inning after an in-park home run. Never seen one of those before. Never want to again if it's hit against L.A. It kind of took the fun out of the rarity. Lots of grumbling in the stands... Colorado scored once more making it 2-0 top of the 1st. The evening I was certain was not off to a good start. Then the Dodgers answered back. The direct reply came loudly from #27 Matt Kemp... SMACK! A SWEET 3 run home run in the bottom of the first. As I often do, I sat there suspiciously- would the ball actually go over the wall?- then, as soon as the stadium lights began flashing I jumped up... EXUBERANT. 

Ok, life was good again. We were on top. As it should be. Throughout and in the end, Rockies led, Dodgers led, Rockies tied it, we took the lead... and  without having to look over our shoulders too much, kept it to ourselves. Final score: Rockies 4, Dodgers 6. Nice. Billingsly wins his 4th straight, Jansen gets the save. THANK YOU! (See? Just go for the SAVE! Geesh!) We needed a night like this. I needed a game like this. To remind me that while life has ups and downs and curves and dips and heartaches and cheers and smiles and little scares and big disappointments and laughter and focus and distractions and exuberance- sorry, I get carried away at times... it all reminds me that in the end we can win. Sometimes a little patience is what it takes. And perseverance and...- sorry- I'll stop with this one before it gets out of hand. 



Years ago, when my great-grandmother was in her early nineties, she was in a lovely nursing home being taken care of by the best. She had frequent visitors, including me and my 2 small dogs at the time. But she would still at times become sad. She would cry and ask me why her time had not come yet- she kept saying she was ready. Grandma Hilda and I were close. I loved her dearly, and I hated to hear such words. I tried to explain to her that perhaps there was something else, maybe just one thing she had to learn before she left us. She shook her head- she didn't know what it was. In the end, she passed peacefully with her daughter by her side, my dear Auntie. I had seen Grandma Hilda shortly prior to her passing, and she was happy. And upon the news of her being gone, I realized what it was- the one last thing she had to perhaps learn before her time was up. Patience. She was the the German side of my family, (I'm 1/4), and it was from that DNA that I learned toe-tapping impatience. 

Sometimes that's a good thing. But not necessarily always. Everyone has to learn in their own time. And I believe she did. And I believe the Dodgers and their fans will too. Just like the Red Sox and their fans eventually did. And those poor Cubs fans! Anyone who admits they are a Cubs fan cannot be lying. Who would admit that out loud if they weren't loyal? Nonetheless, patience is taught by time. Sometimes it only takes nine innings, sometimes it takes a century. On a few different notes, Matt Treanor was in the line-up. He was announced at the start of the game as the "second best athlete in the family." A clear shout out to Misty May, his amazing wife who with her partner Kerri Walsh- Jennings won their third Olympic gold medal in beach volleyball. Great pic from http://www.eonline.com/ Now THAT'S perseverance. 
Nice job, Ladies! See? Girl Power! I also flattened a beach ball that beaned me in the head. Leave the volleying where it belongs: on the beach. I paid to watch a baseball game, not to duck and weave or be bonked by a 99 cent beach ball. Handed the flat distraction to an usher later and muttered the words "You're Welcome." Oh and Don Mattingly switched to #88. I like that better than #12. 'Nuff said. This is already too long. Day off today while they travel to Florida. Hanley Ramirez' ole' stomping grounds. He plays for US now. Sweet! Good luck Boys! Play hard- play well... GO Blue! 
Game time tomorrow 4:10 pm PDT  L.A. Dodgers Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment