Tuesday, February 12, 2013

All the Right Stuff

What if... just what if instead of Billingsly being a starter, he becomes middle relief? Sometimes the best stuff is in the middle! (Especially Double-Stuff! Great, now I want a cookie....)
I'm just saying. Hear me out: he had elbow surgery. On any Player, this always concerns me. But Chad knew relief responsibility in 2007, and he was good. But sometimes when opportunity presents itself, you have to waive the routine of what you think you know...and go with it. Look at Eric Gagne: he started off as a Starter. Who could have predicted that kind of greatness from him as a closer? The man was the most humble, focused genius to ever grace our L.A. mound as a closer in  my opinion. We have more than enough pitchers, in fact too many. We have eight with five spots to fill. It's good to overbook- don't get me wrong. Airlines do it. But just be on time, check in, and you won't get bumped. 

What IS THAT, anyway?



Right now we need options, and we need them to be clear. 
GIRL TALK: Options: like what to wear on a date... or which guy's invitation to accept... (I gotta admit, I always rooted for Aiden)...






Prada or Chanel...you know: options.  
If all goes as planned, Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, and Beckett have a spot. Who's number five? Lilly? Harang? Capuano? Billingsly?  I am anxious to see what Lilly brings to the mound during Spring Training. 


There was so much fuss over him when he joined L.A. And rightfully so- he was good. But beyond that, I like his style. He's fan friendly. While on the D.L. (New Girls: D.L. is the disabled list. Means he's injured and out of rotation for awhile), Lilly would sometimes come up to the Reserved Level (my level!) and greet fans. You know, take pictures, sign autographs.... I like that. Real friendly. Harang never "wowed" me. I wouldn't mind seeing him utilized as middle relief. Heaven knows that's where we often fall short anyway! Let's start from the inside out: let's build the middle relievers first then slot the fifth Starter. I know it may not be the usual M.O., but why not try it?


Ok, gotta let you know I got this one from 
www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com
Too funny...
But I digress...where was I...
I like our Pitchers. I do. Pitchers are like the "cool kids." But even the "cool kids" have a hierarchy. (My favorite coming of age movie: Sixteen Candles!)





Let's figure it out early so we can start to live up to our own expectations. I like the Ryu acquisition. I love Beckett. I LOVE the fact that League is being primed for closer (he still is, isn't he? I mean, he IS a closer....No more Jansen in the ninth- please! We have League- use him! Jansen and Belesario for the eighth...  hip hip hooray!) 

Belesario is wonderful in the eighth. Unless something has changed, leave him there.   GIRL TALK: It's like the casual, comfortable guy-friend that you can always turn to in a tough spot... He always knows just the right thing to say. Not boyfriend material, but perfect for getting into the minds of those who ARE.

And let's look at the prospects again and again. I don't care HOW much money someone is making: if they are getting the job and are looking good this spring, use THAT ONE.  It's too early to discuss trade prospects. Way too early. And DON'T EVEN get me started on the rumors buzzing about Ethier. Full squad hasn't even reported yet and already the pressure from reports is on?! Seriously, save it. Ethier is healthy and has a proven track record. He's earned his stripes. Leave. Him. In. Right. Field. Los Angeles Right Field.  He's fine RIGHT where he is. And let us never speak of this again. {shudder....}
It will be interesting to see how this all pans out over the next few weeks, and how things unfold and the team develops. With the best team money can buy, it's now up to the Players to come together and "gel." There should always be room for jello. 

And there's room for everyone, if they are willing to accept possibly new roles and challenges. GO Blue!  

No comments:

Post a Comment