Thursday, February 14, 2013

So Far, So Good

So far, I'm liking what I am reading. 
With 8 pitchers and 5 starting roles,... and only one of those roles considered "vacant," I can appreciate the lack of drama there seems to be in Glendale, AZ. 

Girl Talk: Imagine 8 single girls... and 5 single guys walk in... there's probably gonna be a little drama...

It looks like Ryu took to the mound today, and he's off to a good start. Mattingly and Ellis reportedly liked what they saw. I didn't realize that Ryu, while he serves up as a south paw (New Girls: south paw means he pitches left handed), he bats right. Huh. Interesting. I guess he is naturally right handed, but he learned to pitch left handed when he received his first pitcher's glove... for a left handed pitcher. So he went with it and taught himself to pitch accordingly. I like that ... he's adaptable. AND I learned something new. 



Now, with Capuano vying for a spot, what a great attitude this guy seems to have! He just wants to be part of the team- it didn't seem to faze him to consider the bullpen?? I LOVE that!  (New Girls: Bullpen is referred to for middle relief pitchers- you know, the guys we turn to in the middle of the game when the starting pitcher is getting tired...think of "stand-by" dates.... you can always turn to them in a pinch). Sometimes one might encounter an ego or two - all in the same guy - if they are set on being a starter. But from all accounts, it seems Capuano is on board with the idea that he may or may not get to start, but that he'd be happy just to stay a Dodger. Girl Talk: It seems to all remind me of a Bachelor auction. The guys know they are in a meat market, and they just go with it and have fun. 
Especially the ones who get auctioned off first- they know the bigger money makers are at the end, but they're just happy to be playing along. Sweet! 
And Ryu, a native Korean AND the first pro Korean player to be signed straight to the Big Leagues.... Good for him! Well done! Not that he came cheap by any means: $61.7 million. (See? Told you the bigger money makers are later... Oooh! Prada... )

Ryu seems to also have figured out how to balance the Korean media and his role as the "new guy," by conducting his press life outside the clubhouse. Very considerate. Again, I like what I see so far. If I had $61 million I may have bid on him too. But if I couldn't get him, then I'm glad the Dodgers did. He has up to four pitches that look promising, and if Ellis can learn a little Korean to help things along on the mound, we might really be onto something. As I yawn and wrap it up for tonight, I am thinking of all the ones with a tough role,... I think the toughest has to be Ellis' job in these first days: Dear Catcher, Please learn about, adapt and scoot along all 8 pitchers. Then we'll decide which 5 you'll work with regularly. We'll ask your opinion, but in the end we'll decide. Sincerely, Management. Bottom line is this: how sweet it must be to grow up and play in the Big Leagues... for any little boy. Welcome to spring training, boys. Full squad in tomorrow. GO Blue! 
Oh, and in case you were wondering where I got my info, check out the Dodger home page.  
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=la
Ok, now GO Blue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment