Sunday, May 18, 2014

Life's Funny like that.. Like Baseball

Not gonna lie, last year was rough for me. From a single girl's perspective. I was looking for a permanent job (I was temping fairly steadily but I wanted something permanent), the dating scene was a flop, and everything just seemed to be a struggle. I felt like I was moving forward, slowly, but there were lots of hurdles to over come.
Last year I turned 42. I often match my age to a Dodger number. Last year was my Jackie Robinson year. New Girls: Jackie Robinson wore #42. The number has since been retired across all teams. No one wears it any longer. I tried to learn from Jackie: I didn't lose my cool, I hung in there and I always did my best. It paid off. I recently went permanent at a great company in a great role, working in the field that I adore: legal.
This year I turned 43. That's Brandon League's number. New Girls: Brandon League had a real rough year last year. He's one of our relief pitchers, and let's just say he had a REAL rough year last year. On my birthday this year, (which happened in April), I quietly promised myself I would just have a little faith that this year was gonna be better. I really wanted Brandon League to have a better year- and I really wanted to have a better year as well.
Well, Brandon League, #43, has been bouncing back lately. This season has definitely been better for him. While the rest of the Dodger bullpen has been questionable to say the least, Brandon League seems to have turned things around for himself. He has once again become the pitcher who we can kinda breathe a sigh of relief when he takes the mound. He's worked hard to over come his pitching falters. He's really turned things around for himself and thus re-proven himself.
I can relate. I'm no former All Star pitcher, but haven't we all had our moments when we thought no one was rooting for us? The lump in your throat makes it hurt to swallow. But all you can do is keep moving forward with your head up, surrounding yourself with those who believe in you, work hard and do your best... and hope it pays off.
Like I said earlier, I am thrilled that I recently went permanent at a job I adore. And it clearly looks like Brandon League's hard work is paying off too. Bouncing back after a rough patch feels good.
Kirk Gibson once said in an interview something to the effect of: "That's the beauty of the game. Just when they think they've got you, you go out there and you prove them wrong."
That's how I take a step back and reflect. Life is funny like that. Life is like baseball. Just when they think they've got you... you can go out there and show 'em what you're made of. It is SUCH an awesome feeling! So.... Here's to a good year- for the Dodgers, for Brandon League #43,... and for single girls everywhere... cheers!

1 comment: