Sunday, August 5, 2012

Perspective and Priorities: August 5, 2012



We won yesterday. Yesssss! Giants won yesterday.*sigh. I have to admit, I didn't watch the game, but kept close tabs on the score throughout. A good friend had a birthday get-together and I was not about to miss it. He and his wife are Giants fans. Yes, I have a few of those. Don't judge. I wasn't about to suggest turning the game on. (Happy Birthday. You're welcome.) So we simply kept an eye on things from smart phones and iPads. Point: I know my priorities. I have my friends. Clearly one of their birthdays is a priority. 


I know when I can take a break from the Boys in Blue.We all need a break, even from our BFFs. Sometimes it''s convenient and falls on a day when there is no game already. Other times we have to allow ourselves a little perspective. I at least try to be reasonable. I don't often take a day off form watching the game. But then again, my friend does't often have a birthday. So keeping a little perspective is important. Like the Dodgers. Still half a game back. Dear Giants, STOP winning. 'Nuff said. 
On another note...Joe Blanton makes his Dodger debut today. Game time 1:10 at the Ravine. 
BTW, New Girls: the "Ravine" I keep referring to is Chavez Ravine, the name of Dodger Stadium. I just always shorten it. Sounds more hep. Or cute.  I always loved the term "hep cat." 
Plus I have always loved vinyl records and anything associated with the word "boogie." That being said, here's a shout out to a page: It's 991.com Music and such Can't recall how I came across it. They just seem to have fun "hep" stuff, including rare vinyl. (And yes, yes, I own an iPod.  Just haven't given up the turn table. Geesh!)

Back to Blanton. Dodgers picked up Joe from the Phillies on waivers. New Girls: being picked up or traded on waivers happens if the trade deadline passes. If a player is cut from his team after the trade deadline has passed, another team may pick him up according to a team ranking. It sounds confusing, but it's not really. And how it applies here is that we got Joe Blanton. From the Phillies. Who are in last place in their division. At least Blanton already knows someone in town since he and Victorino were teammates in Philly. Plus Davey Lopes, Dodgers' first base coach, used to coach in Philadelphia. But let's put things into perspective: in 2008, Blanton went from the Oakland A's to the Phillies. That year Philly won the World Series. Yay! (Well, yay for a National League Team winning and yay for Joe for getting a ring.) However, earlier this season his ERA jumped to a 9.91(mid May to early June). Yikes! To be fair, he's settled down since then, with his season ERA at 4.59.  He's also relinquished 22 home runs. Ouch. Opinion alert: Why is it that the Dodgers so often throughout history feel the need to become an elephant's graveyard for pitchers?
Look, to be fair, the guy hasn't even started for us yet and already I'm picking on him. My apologies. But my point is, just because we couldn't get Cliff Lee doesn't mean we have to take any ole pitcher the Phillies want to unload. Ted Lilly, one of our starting pitchers, recently had a set back in his rehab.That hurt. So we were desperate. I get that. We were tired of wracking our brains. Maybe we needed a nap.

But now that we have good - no, GREAT owners- and a legit budget, couldn't we have found someone else? Let the Phillies clean out their wardrobe. There were plenty of other places we could have shopped. Aurgh. I hope I am wrong. I really do. I will root for Joe Blanton as loud as my lungs can holler "Get this guy, Joe! Get him out!" Joe wears Blue now, and for that alone I will support him. But I had to keep things in perspective when I read about that trade (btw, the trade was for a player to be named later and/or cash considerations... which again in my book translates to: "Just take him." Another opinion.) This one in particular just has me thinkin' is all.... And I had to wonder where Colletti's priorities were: get a pitcher who can do something for us... or just get a pitcher? Oh look. Another opinion. Shocker. I'm staying home for this one. Not because of any of this. Just yesterday wore me out. There had been a pool involved and a lot of sunshine. BTW, the little tired dog is my friend's pup. Her name is Sunshine. She often looks tired. Ah the life of a dog... dog days of summer...

So I'll cheer Joe on from my couch with the A/C on. Supposed to be hot today. Go get 'em Joe! Welcome to L.A.... GO BLUE! Game time 1:10 pm PDT.









No comments:

Post a Comment