Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pre Game GAB: August 4, 2012: Start 'em Young!


Setting: Dodger Stadium. The Ravine. Characters: Thee little ladies. Age range circa 9-10 I'm guessing. All ready to cheer on the Blue Crew. Pony tails. Head bands. One is wearing a denim jacket with a little bling on the back. Two of them share a blanket as it gets chillier. One of them, it's her fourth time to a Dodger game. She's the veteran. Another, it's her second time. Ah! She's onto something! And the third, it's her first time there. Sweet! All there with Auntie, having the time of their lives. They danced when the music came on, they got "Let's go Dodgers, Let's go!" going a couple of times, claps and all. They're enthusiasm was catching. Even the 20-somethings in front of them helped out their cause by bolstering the volume of their cheers.I had been intrigued from the start. Little girls at a baseball game-awesome! Start 'em young! Actually, a Fever Pitch Quote comes to mind: "By the end of the day, Ben had become one of God's most pathetic creatures: a Red Sox fan." Insert my name in there and replace team name with Dodgers, and we're talkin' about me. And I'm thinkin' these little ladies are on the right Blue track too. 
Turns out, they had all played softball at one point or another in their young careers of youth. Now they play soccer. But clearly the love for this sport had not dissipated. They were focused on the game. They knew when to cheer. They knew when to be dejected (Cubs did score only one run so there wasn't too much dejection last night in general). Auntie helped them pace themselves with dessert, so they knew when to flag down the Dibs guy.
Bottom line is this: they were taking in the whole Dodger game experience and loving it. At one point, I went up to find a salted pretzel.
When I was coming back down the stairs, A.J. Ellis had just hit one of two home runs. I found myself hurrying to high five the young fans. They were high -fiving everyone and I wasn't about to be left out. To see that kind of excitement for the game in young girls makes me smile. Really big. I grew up loving the game, loving the Dodgers. I guess when I see this, it kinda reminds me of being that young. When these players today are the ones you will remember always. For me it's Cey, Lopes, Garvey Russell,... Lasorda. But also there's still plenty of girly-girl swish. They had style. They had personality. They had bling  And they had a love for the game. Well done Auntie. Start 'em young! By the way, Auntie knew about the dessert pacing thing maybe cuz she makes pies. Turns out she's on Facebook. (Thank goodness for Facebook!) Found it! Awesome. Pies for Purpose ... nice! Great. Now I want a pie-pop for breakfast. Didn't know those existed. Where have I been?? Clearly need to become a fan there!                    Pies for Purpose




Game time tonight: 6:10 p.m. I will be relegated to the T.V. 
L.A. Dodgers Home Page

For the Well Dressed Girl Fan



GO Blue Girl Power!


No comments:

Post a Comment