Friday, August 3, 2012

PreGame GAB: August 3, 2012: Personal Faves

Dear Kirk Gibson, I love you and what you did for us in 1988, but stay out of this. This is between us and those guys up north!  Hugs, Kim. 

Ok, now that I got that out of my system... Thank goodness the Giants have been on a mini losing streak as well (thank you Mets). The Dodgers are only half a game back of the Giants. However, just for the record, I know this is L.A. but I really can't stand being tailgated. The Diamondbacks are only 2 games behind first place. This is not a tailgate party {seethe}. Shoo! 

Besides, Diamondbacks make me shudder. I have a SERIOUS PHOBIA of snakes. Not kidding even a little bit. 

Let's take a quick look at what is at stake tonight: 
FIRST PLACE BRAGGING RIGHTS. 
There, see? Told you it would be quick. 
New Girls: If the Dodgers win tonight (yay!) AND the Giants lose tonight (yay!) then we will be in first place. And see? Blue ribbon. Even the color is politically correct. Perfect!

The details: Chad Billingsly starts tonight for L.A. We like him. If he wins for us tonight, it will be his third straight win. He has to be feeling pretty good about things in getting his team back on the right track. Jeff Samardzija is pitching for the Cubs. Maybe I'm biased, but simply put Chad is a better pitcher than Jeff. Chad has more control over the ball and more tenacity. And looking at the numbers (if you must), while Jeff is 7-8 and Chad is 6-9, Jeff has an ERA of 4.19 while Chad checks in with an ERA of 3.89. *New Girls: the numbers are Wins-Losses and ERA is "Earned Run Average..." how many runs are they giving up on the average... things that make you go Hmmm... 
Dodger dog? Nah, couldn't be. I'll go tonight and do it right.

Girl Talk. Let's discuss. In comparing pitching match ups... or dating match ups (no blind dates need apply thanks), one should look at the big picture. Take everything into consideration: does he have income? A ginormous bank account shouldn't be the requirement, but steady is preferable.  These are his numbers. His stats. 









Next, does he treat you well? Does he hold the door open for you? I don't care what year it is, chivalry and manners should never be allowed to become passe

Does it give you goosebumps when he says your name? Does it give him goosebumps to say your name? This is the chemistry. It needs to be there. It ALL needs to be there. 

Ok, enough of that. On now to the Flyin' Hawaiian, a.k.a. Shane Victorino. I guess somewhere along the line he also earned the nickname the Pineapple Express, (both due to the fact he hails from our fiftieth state). That and he's quick. I prefer the Flyin' Hawaiian. (There's also apparently a drink named that as well.) 
But I digress. Where was I...

I think the reason I have attached such a quick loyalty to the Flyin' Hawaiian (heh) IS because he is from an island. For as long as I can recall, I have had a special love for Hawaii. I even did my thesis on the Hawaiian hula. I'm sure it was something very engrossing, relating the theories of globalization and commercialization and colonialization (new word alert) to the lovely dance. Keep your eyes on the hands...! 

Where was I going with this? Ah, yes, personalizing it (I was getting there). Pick something you love. For example, if you love puppies, maybe find a player that supports the ASPCA, then learn a little about that player. It gets easier to learn about a player's stats and performance record once you personalize him. He becomes a human being, not just a south-paw. New Girls: a south-paw pitcher means he throws left handed. For me, out of the Blue (pun intended) my new personal fave is Victorino. There's the island connection. Oh sure, I have my favorite pitchers and other players for different reasons, but for more personal reasons I am intriguing on the Flyin' Hawaiian right now.  It gives the game a little something extra. For me anyway. I hope it does for you too. Speaking of a little something extra, I got a present in the mail yesterday: 



I love it. One of my many cousins (remember I'm Mexican) made it for me. She owns her own shop, so I thought I'd give her a shout-out and provide the link to her Facebook page if anyone likes it and wants to see other stuff. Where My Dodger Necklace Came From Thanks Rockin' Mommas... you rock! I will be wearing this to the Ravine tonight. Friend picked up tickets and by some weird coincidence thought I would be interested in tagging along. See how that works?
And remember the post from last Friday- about treating myself to something I had not done in a long time... then some guy gave me his card? Yeah, he's supposed to be going too. He mentioned that last Friday. I still have his card. Who knows, maybe I'll show up early for batting practice and collect on that drink offer. Oh who am I kidding... I always shop up early for batting practice.  I'll let you know how THAT turns out. First Pitch: 7:10 p.m. PDT.  
"I SEE YOU... E KOMO MAI... LET'S DO THIS...GO BLUE! "

No comments:

Post a Comment