Friday, July 12, 2013

180

I rarely do this, but I am doing an about-face. I'm reconsidering my thoughts on Brandon League. For those of you who know me, pick your jaws up off the floor. It's me, it's me. Look, his ERA is 6.25 (NEW GIRLS: that's the Earned Run Average... how many runs on the average does the guy give up). I'm not thrilled. But something struck me the other day. Don't know why. Here was the thought: Haven't we ALL been there? We are all good at something, everyone has a gift. But none of us are perfect. Now granted, League has had a really rough season. I'm not saying he's a little less than perfect. But haven't we all been there at a point when we have had a crummy time in our careers or personal life and we just can't seem to pick ourselves up and out of it? We know we're good, we know we can do what needs to be done, but we're not there at that moment. We've done the good job before, but we're in a serious slump. Doesn't mean we're washed up, just means we gotta switch things up, take some time to regroup, and figure out how to solve the puzzle or learn and accept our new roles. Now that I've regrouped my thoughts on League, my point is simply this: We've all been there. 
And it helps to have Family, Friends Team, and Fans on your side.
I have been known to compare League to Broxton. I take it back. I do. I am not being sarcastic (which I am also known to do). But here is the difference in my opinion:  Broxton was pompous, and I always felt like he sabotaged us on purpose just to get the win. He would disguise this effort with conveniently and strategically placed walk-off magic from Ethier and the likes when they would be due up at the bottom of the ninth. I always felt like Broxton didn't care about the team, and that he had his own agenda. I honestly don't get that from League. Now Mattingly I get that from. I get a sense he has his own agenda, but I'll save that for another post. (And don't even get me started on my opinions of Colletti.) But Mattingly plays League when he's not ready to be played, so THAT'S just mean. THAT'S part of a separate agenda that I'm talking about. How can that possibly help League gain confidence? Sure when you fall off a horse you have to get right back up again. But sometimes you have to take a little time to nurse a sore you-know-what for a while before getting back on. Do I think League should return as a closer? Nooooo. (I think Jansen is just fine for now with Dominguez being groomed.) But maybe a new role... middle relief. Heaven knows we still need that. So with all that said, I am doing that about-face I mentioned earlier. Brandon League is a Dodger, and Dodger fans need to believe in their Boys in Blue. All of them. GIRL TALK: Think back to a time when you were struggling, and all you wanted- or needed- was someone to believe in you. NOT someone to throw you to the wolves before you ready, but really truly believe in you. THAT'S what I'm talking about here. We all just need someone to believe in us, so we can do what we already know what we can do. 
GO Blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment