Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A True Fan... I Love My Team, I Really Do

Dodgers win... Yay! Dodgers are tied for second place in the West... Yay! Now, I hate to be the one to douse the flame of excitement, but now that we have celebrated with the obvious formalities let's take in a reality check. Arizona is barely a 500 team. They're in first (grrr...). The Dodgers are almost a 500 team. Dodgers are in second place (ok, tied for but you get the point. HOW CAN AN ENTIRE DIVISION THAT BARELY MAINTAINS 500 STANDINGS EXPECT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY?! How can a team only a few games out of first in their division not even be a 500 team? And how can a team (the Diamonbacks) be considered a "first place" team whilst barely over 500?? Phblt... And we wonder why the West isn't taken seriously. Ok, next on my reality check list is Puig. As much as I adore the guy, I just can't help but wait for the other shoe to drop. Usually if it's too good to be true, it is. First of all, as good as he may be, he is a rookie, and is vulnerable to rookie mistakes. (Anyone except me recall the head first slide into first base a couple of weeks or so ago?) Stuff like that makes me nervous. And tonight he crashed into a wall. Granted that was not necessarily a rookie mistake and could have happened to anyone. But if he actually gets to go to the All Star Game (long shot but stranger things have happened), 1. I'm fearful he'd be too excited and unfocused and get injured and 2. I'm a believer in paying one's dues. Five weeks or so in the big leagues does not earn a pass to the All Stars. Sorry. I'll probably be de-friended over that one, but I can't help it. I need more of a guarantee he's not a ship in the night. What he has done thus far has been amazing, but I need to see it long term and consistent before I cast my ballot in that direction. Now Adrian Gonzalez, AGon, Gonzo... now HE NEEDS TO be in the All Star line up. Seriously. Last but not least, I must say this about Dominguez: the guy can pitch! Thank goodness there's been a little shuffle in the bullpen plan. But he's young too. Can he hold up with that 101mph stuff like we saw Sunday under pressure? We'll see. Tonight wasn't the best he could do. But he's young. He'll get there. I'm sure he'll even be fine tomorrow if they need him. Let's just hope they don't use him as trade-bait. Ugh. I hope they stick with him, work with him and mold him into a classic Dodger closer. Jansen is good for now, but give Dominguez a year or two and he'll be a sweet closer. (And let;s hope they don't get any bright ideas and rent some veteran closer instead  who has his best years behind him and throw Dominguez back down if even if he plays well for another year or so... because THAT would NEVER happen....grumble grumble). I have absolutely loved watching the newer, younger players play. They inspire the rest of the Crew. Hanley's out there swingin' the bat, Ethier is stepping it up... we'll be fine. Let's just not rush these Rookies. Let's let then take their time and do what comes naturally.... I believe the saying goes something like "Build it and they will come." -Field of Dreams.
GIRL TALK: Sometimes all you need is the truth, grounded in love and support, right?
"Do these pants make me look fat?"
"Yes."
"THANK YOU for telling me! Now I can go change."
GO Dodgers!

No comments:

Post a Comment