Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Instinct

A few nights ago during the Dodger game, I think it was Vin Scully who asked those of watching at home to Tweet who we thought would win the All Star game. Again, to be clear, the request was to Tweet who we thought would win. That said, I Tweeted I thought the American League would win, and although I wanted the National League to win, I felt the American League was going to. Bummer I was right. I always try to be honest and fair in my predictions, as well in general every day life. This goes to instinct. I truly felt the American League ha a certain something this year The National League had taken Home Field Advantage the last couple of years, but this year, the American League would take it. I bring this up not to say I was right, but rather to demonstrate how important it is to follow your instincts, regardless if it's not what we think we want to hear. Remember, Annie didn't think she wanted to leave her fiance... but in the end, she finally listened to her instincts and went to the Empire State Building in Sleepless in Seattle...
The way I see it is this: Games One and Two of the World Series will be played on American League soil. I'm a National League Fan. If the NL can win one of the first games on American League ground, then they can sweep the other three on their own turf,... and win the World Series. at home (wherever "home" is). That's how I think. Or how I like to think. I'll make that specific prediction as October draws nearer. But in the mean time, I look to my instinct and recall how even just a week ago I was convinced the American League would win the All Star. The prospect didn't thrill me, but I was right.  Girl Talk: Ladies, how many times do we listen -or not- to that little voice in our heads? "He's just not that into you," or " These horizontal strips look fabulous on me!" (Remember the Sex and the City episode where that was the lesson? Miranda telling two girls to move on...)


How many times do we ignore those little voices? If we listened to them more, I wonder how many disappointments we could avoid. I suppose that's half the fun though. Ignoring our instincts, making mistakes, then repeating them before we learn. Lesson for the Day: Follow your instincts. That feeling that just seems to gel and tell you "that's it!" If you listen to that little voice more often, the mistakes might become fewer and the smiles and satisfaction more frequent. Kinda like the expression here on Goldie Hawn's and Carl Reiner's faces...
Some of the best Players ever relied I'm certain on instinct...
The American League played well tonight. Well enough to win. But I think the real Star of the All Stars was Mariano Rivera, best Closer of our time. And that's coming from an Eric Gagne fan. (New Girls: Google Eric Gagne and Mariano Rivera. Please!!) Gagne is the best Closer I ever saw pitch in person. Rivera... well... he'll go down in history with his own chapter. Even if he IS a Yankee. Number 42 now shall be forever retired. Thank you Mariano Rivera. Well played. Well deserved spotlight moment on the mound this evening. This one is now in the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment