Monday, July 29, 2013

What a Team!

Where do I begin? It's been awhile since my last post. So much has happened. WOW! Yesterday's game actually sums up what this season has been so far: Unpredictable. Since the All-Star Break, the Dodgers have really shined. Right before the All-Star Game, they were beginning to show signs of cohesion and chemistry. They were a TEAM! The first part of this season {shudder}- let's not speak of it, shall we? Yesterday's game was an unbelievable Pitcher's Duel (New Girls: A Pitcher's Duel is when neither Team is scoring a lot - or at all- because the pitching is seemingly so good no one CAN score.) Capuano really held off the Reds. But as the game drew on... and on... and on... I realized whereas during a day-game I am usually in the shade by the fourth inning, I was still in the sun, shade nowhere near my Row yet. Grrr... thankfully I had plenty of water and sunscreen. Although the game seemed to go on without end, I had to admit both Pitchers were doin' their job. Finally, going into extra innings, Brandon League came in. Now remember in my previous post here, I had mentioned League. He's been having a rough time of it this season, but I reached out with the support of a True-Blue Fan. Yes, I had been frustrated as many other Fans had been, but I felt it was time to start sending him some positive energy and rooting for him to find his way. We've all been in a tough spot where we just need people to believe in us. I mean, just think of how many time Samantha and Carrie Bradshaw have had each other's backs...right? 
Bottom line: Brandon League is a Dodger and deserves the support of the Fans.  Now, baseball is a superstitious game... many Fans have their "thing" that brings their Team good luck: Wearing the lucky cap that makes the Team win, sitting in a certain chair at home while the game is on, wearing a lucky necklace... (remember how devastated Carrie Bradshaw was when she thought she lost her favorite necklace in Paris?)


Well, as much as I would love to take credit for League's win (YES! HE GOT THE WIN!), I will leave credit where it is actually due: right on the mound. Well played, Brandon. You held 'em off. So when all was said and done, after 11 innings total, Brandon League got his third win in like a week, the Dodgers set a franchise record for the most strikeouts in a game (20... TWENTY STRIKEOUTS AND WE STILL WON!), and then the perfect cherry on the sundae, Puig come up and wins it for us with a walk off home run. Final score: 1-0. (I never tire of Isabella Rossellini's picture here- this is pretty much what my expression was upon Puig's walk-off home run) 

Gotta share: The lady behind me at the game yesterday, kept asking her date questions about the game throughout. I can respect that.  She wants to know- maybe she's come to something out of her comfort zone, and she is at least trying to understand what is happening on the field. However, when the questions turned to: "What time does the game end?" and "What happens if it's still zero-to-zero after nine innings- do they just leave?" and the date explains that baseball is not like hockey, it won't end in a tie...  then my ears start to really perk up. She was incredulous- not to mention suspicious sounding. "Really?" she asked "Are you kidding me? They just keep playing till someone scores?" "YES!" was his repeated answer. Her date kept trying to tell her that extra innings come about and that is simply how baseball is played, but she sounded so disbelieving. So alright Ladies, listen up: DO NOT be THAT Girl. Yes, baseball can go extra innings as it did yesterday. Consider yourselves warned. When attending a game, be prepared to stay. It could be a quick and easy win, a slow drawn out painful loss, or it can go extra innings in the hot sun. Take water (MUST be brand new and sealed! They will NOT let open or unsealed containers into the Stadium! And NO glass or cans- MUST be plastic bottles!), sunscreen, and patience. Oh, and don't forget to bring lots of heart. Dodgers love their Fans, and we adore them back. Do a little research before you go, and know what you're getting yourself into possibly. The afternoon was long, but boy-oh-boy was it worth the wait! Dodgers are in FIRST PLACE! Two and a half games in front of the Diamondbacks. Thank you Capuano, League, Puig and ALL the guys on the Team... you make L.A. proud! GO Blue!   (by the way- yes, they play "I Love L.A." after Dodgers win at home... and yes, I have it on my iPod. Of course I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment