Saturday, August 31, 2013

Gab Gab Gab...

So many things to share! You know us Girls... we LOVE to talk, we love to GAB! To start with, tonight was the 11 year anniversary of me catching a foul ball, my first and only one to date. August 31, 2002, I caught it in Reserved 20, Row A, Seat 18. I still have the ball. It was fouled off by Mike Kinkaid who played for the Dodgers back then. It was the bottom of the ninth, we played the Braves. We ended up losing that evening. Tonight, eleven year later, I enjoyed dinner at the Stadium Club. Another first! And THAT was amazing! Not to be confused with the Dugout Club, the Stadium Club is on the same level as the Suites. An all-you-can-eat buffet, this experience is not designed for the feint of heart. Go hungry or go home. There is a lot of food to choose from, and vegetarians will find plenty to choose from. It's beautiful to look at, and the selection ranges from Dodger staples to unique and intriguing to classic overall. Needless to say I indulged in just about everything as it was appealing in every way,... and very well worth it. And yes, for the record, I probably DID resemble Lucy from the episode where she worked at the chocolate factory...

If you have the opportunity to go to the Stadium Club, I highly recommend it.

Next let's discuss the win. Might I start off with how valuable Adrian Gonzalez is. He comes through every time, this time driving in the tying run- Skip Schumaker who hit a double. Skip and Jerry Hairston are two of my favorite unsung heroes. They remain consistent and just really play well. And Adrian has played solid ball since the beginning and even throughout the slump that had us clinging to the bottom rung. Bravo Gentlemen. Well played. All of you.
The "Magic Number" is currently 18. New Girls: The Magic Number is a combination of wins and losses that have to happen before the Dodgers secure their spot in the Playoffs. The Magic Number is the Total Number of Games minus the number of wins by the First Place Team minus the number of losses plus One. Or in short, it is the number of Games the Dodgers Must Win OR the Diamondbacks Must Lose to "Clinch" the Division. *Sigh... Math.... This is why I was a theatre arts major in college. Remember the time Lucy tried to convince Orson Wells to perform Romeo and Juliet with her? 

Finally, I ain't gonna lie- I am still concerned about post season. What happens when Matt Kemp comes off the DL? He's going to wanna play. But will that throw off the chemistry of the Team that has gotten us to this point? Brian Wilson in the bullpen has been fine the few games he has come in for relief, but I remain weary. I support him however as he now wears Dodger Blue. And the Dodgers have just picked up Michael Young from the Phillies. A good choice to be sure, but what about Scott Van Slyke who can also swing the bat. September call ups when Rosters can expand to the full 40 man list have always fascinated me. The choices these guys in suits make often leave me bobble-eyed. Van Slyke can hit AND has played with these Boys on and off through out the season. I know many of the current Dodgers are familiar with Michael Young from past Career stints, but he hasn't played with this mix, with this chemistry.  Remember the chemistry between Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke in "Before Sunset," the sequel to "Before Sunrise." LOVE those movies! 
So yeah, it's got me thinking. I'm really hoping we can hold our own against the big boys when October comes. We're gonna have to get used to scoring more than two runs and stop depending on stellar pitching to save the win every time. YET, we don't want the Boys in Blue to tire out and peak before October either. This is where chemistry is involved. These Guys out there have been through the worst of times and are going through the best of times. If the top dogs start to mix it up to stay politically correct come the end of September or early October....
Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment