Friday, April 4, 2014

Opening Day

We made it. At last. Some claim Opening Day was in Australia. Others claim it was Sunday Night. Still others say it was Monday. For me, it's today. Opening Day is Opening Day AT Dodger Stadium. Sadly I won't be there in person- priced out. But I'll watch from home- took a vacation day to celebrate my birthday which was Tuesday and watch the game today. Speaking of birthdays, look at this cake! Found this cake pic here. Is there a " WANT ONE" button? (It's a groom's cake, but as a big a Dodger fan as I am, I would have had THAT on my birthday!)
Here's what I'm talking about Ladies: I think it's important to take care of ourselves and do good stuff for ourselves every once in awhile. Treat ourselves to the manicure/pedicure (not a fan of the shortened version of that so I spell it all out), or a massage or a facial or a day at the beach. Taking time off for ourselves is critical- especially for all the roles we play. If we expect ourselves to have it all- career, home, social lives- then we need to take the time to nurture ourselves. Why not? We nurture everyone else around us! Especially the moms (I'm not a mom myself, but I hear it from my mom friends). Do something that's fun for YOU. For me it's baseball. Watching, not playing. Ugh. Trust me, you do NOT want to watch me play. half the time I am in heels- by choice- and can you imagine playing baseball in heels?  By the way, I am a HUGE Carrie Bradshaw fan- my dog is even named Carrie Bradshaw. Found this pic here.  I always loved the sense of style the writers and show creators gave her-
But I digress... where was I...? Ah yes-
I love watching the Teams take the field. Hearing the Players introduced. Watching the Pitcher in his wind-ups after negotiating the calls from the catchers. All of that means something to me. It harks back to my childhood, sitting on Grandpa's knee, listening to Vin Scully call the game, learning about Steve Garvey and Bill Russell and Ron Cey and Davey Lopes. Dear Girls, If you don't know who these Players are please go look them up. One of the reasons I write this is so that Girls and Ladies can get into the game a bit more so they can enjoy it with a better understanding with their dates. Another reason that goes hand-in-hand with that is to draw the parallels between baseball an a Girl's world. Look, you shouldn't pretend to like something just because your boyfriend likes it. But if you can understand the game a little better and even find a bit of a connection to it from your own perspective as a woman then it's a win-win. One of my favorite parts of the game is watching the Pitcher set up. He'll watch the Catcher carefully. They'll decide on what pitch to throw. The Catcher is ready for a specific pitch to be thrown. Now, imagine you're out with your friends. Don't you do the same thing? We all have our "signals" we throw our friends: eye contact, the flip of the hair, the nudge when we see a cute Guy.... That's what I mean when I talk about the connection between baseball and a Girl's world. Watch the game, ask questions, and find your own personal connections. Trust me, it works. I'm a "girly- Girl" and every season I find something new to connect with in baseball. Heels, make-up, clothes, shopping, manicures.... And we're Girls. Shouldn't be hard for us to find something to GAB about when it comes to heels, make-up, clothes, shopping, manicures.... (See? Here I go again with Carrie Bradshaw... found this one here. Sweet blog by the way.)
Back to making the connections: I personally just happen to make the connections to baseball. Dodgers in particular.  Here are the Ladies taking in a Yankee game...
For me, Opening Day is like the first date. Everything is new. Hope is in the air. Could THIS be the year/ Could HE be the one? This is one of my favorite stills of Carrie and Big. Found it here.
Yes, yes, I can be a romantic at times. I try not to get too mushy, but Opening Day gets to me. So with that said, time for me to get some stuff done before those magical words are uttered: "It's time for Dodger baseball...!" Ah Vin Scully. Now there's a reason to watch all in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment